LIFE RESEAU aims to reduce by up to 100% the discharge of untreated stormwater overflows into the aquatic environment. For that purpose, it will develop 2 retrofitting solutions to increase the treatment capacity of WWTP and 1 tool to reduce infiltration/inflow in the sewer network.
In Moaña (Spain) and Søndersø (Dennmark) the developed technologies will be tested.
Aqualia (coordinator), ITG and VCS Denmark are involved in LIFE RESEAU.
- Reduce by up to 100% the discharge of untreated stormwater overflows in heavy precipitation areas
- Increase the capacity of Wastewater Treatment Plants (WWTP) by up to 600% using the existing area and infrastructures
- Develop and validate two novel solutions for the upgrading of WWTP
- Develop a tool using artificial intelligence to quantify groundwater infiltration and stormwater inflow to sewer networks
- Assess the impact of climate change on urban wastewater infrastructures
- Reduce energy consumption and pollutant gas emissions (CO2, N2O)
- Develop strategies to replicate the solutions in other WWTPs and locations with similar characteristics
- Identify the most beneficial intervention areas to reduce the volume of water to be treated
Søndersø Wastewater Treatment Plant refurbishment work begins
The Søndersø waste water treatment plant (WWTP) is located in an industrial area of the municipality and has a treatment capacity of 20000 PE. It was built in 1990 and since then has been carrying out biological nitrogen removal and chemical phosphorus removal. During...
Moaña Wastewater Treatment Plant refurbishment work begins
On 23 March, the works to implement the technological improvements promoted by LIFE RESEAU began at the Moaña Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP). Over the next few months, our partner Aqualia will be responsible for the coordination of these works. As Aqualia's...
Technical meeting of LIFE RESEAU partners at ITG headquarters in A Coruña
On 29 March, the LIFE RESEAU partners met at ITG headquarters in A Coruña where they monitored the project's progress. Aqualia and ITG participated in the event in person, while representatives of VCS Denmark attended telematically via a live broadcasting system. The...